Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!


I was surprised this morning with a beautifully plated breakfast in bed and gifts. Isn't Mother's Day great? 

 
We're speaking in church today on mothers of course. So I wanted to post our little tributes to our great moms on here so they and everyone else could see how much we love them. We're pretty blessed in the mom/mother-in-law department. They're pretty special ladies and amazing grandmas. Love you guys! Happy Mother's Day!

Adam's Words About His Mommy.

I am fortunate to have close relationships with both of my parents.  As a teenager, all of my friends were comfortable hanging around my family and talking to my mom and dad. My high school was really close to my house and we were able to leave campus for lunch. I would often bring a small group of friends home for lunch and my mom was always happy to host them. They could see that we had a good relationship and that families were important to us. I played guitar in a band with some of these kids and wrote a song about my mom. I, appropriately, titled it "The Mommy Song." I'll read you the lyrics, but won't sing it, as it gets... raucous.
First Verse
There is a lady who lives in my house.
I like to call her "Mom."
She does stuff for me and I do stuff for her...
Seldom?
She likes foot rubs but I don't like to give them
But sometimes I do
If you knew her I'm sure that you'd love her
Just as I do
And then, for the incredibly catchy chorus, I would holler,
She's my mommy x3
Second Verse
She is the reason I'm the guy
That I am today
She's the best mom in the world
There's nothing left to say
She's my mommy x3

So, Young Men, don't be afraid to show your moms some love. Even in front of your friends. In my experience, I was never made fun of or called a Mama's Boy in any condescending way. My friends always seemed to respect that I loved my mom, and they all loved the song. How could they not with such profound lyrics and all? These days, I'm really glad that I built that relationship with my mom years ago. Watching her go through a tough year battling cancer has taught me a lot about her strength.

And my tribute to my cute mama...

When I think of my mother, the first thing I think about is selfless, second-nature service. I know that all moms are pretty good at this, but my mom has this down to an art form. I have literally never met anyone as willing to assist and serve in the most loving way possible. She'll even get a bit pushy if you try to fight her about it. Her mantra is, "It's no biggie. It's just as easy for me to do it." Whether intentional or not, she taught me a lot about service in the church. She is the most devoted Visiting Teacher you've ever met and made many a friend and new convert through her unfailing love. Growing up, I remember a large Mason jar in our medicine cabinet filled with all the neighbor's spare keys. She was that lady. The one you called when you were in a bind. 100% dependable. She helped raise a good majority of the neighborhood kids and when your mom didn't have a band-aid for your cut, then Nancy did. As a mother of only one son and four daughters, she taught us girls to be happy with who we are. She taught us modesty and virtue. I spoke earlier about the misunderstood concept of the "perfect mom." I know that nobody is perfect, but I also know that my mom was the perfect mom for me. She used her special strengths and abilities to teach by example about God's perfect love for His children. I couldn't have asked for a better more loving mom and I love her dearly. Happy Mother's Day, mom! Find a way to pamper yourself today. You deserve it.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words. But you kids were just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I like your mom! And Adam's mom. And you. You're an awesome mom. Happy Mother's Day, Nat the Bat. You are a great example of a fun, adventurous, creative, righteous mom and I look up to you.

    ReplyDelete