Unfortunately, he had aspirated some gunk into his lungs and was having a hard time breathing. Fortunately, the labor and delivery nurse, Nancy, insisted I get to hold my purple baby before they whisked him away to the NICU.
Next time we saw him he was covered in wires. His oxygen mask was most disheartening and I cried a lot the first few times we went to visit.
After the longest 9-10 hours ever, they finally got to take the mask off. He still had an IV and lots of monitors, but it was great to be able to see his cute little face.
Sunday night around midnight, Adam and I couldn't sleep so we decided to go visit. The NICU nurse asked if we wanted to hold him and of course we said, "ABSOLUTELY!" Things just got better and better from there on out. The next day I was able to start nursing and we were able to go in and hold him whenever the heck we wanted to. I spent a good part of the day just cuddling, rocking, and feeding him. It was the PERFECT day.
Of course, the fun didn't stop there. Starting on Tuesday, Jack had to be on a bilirubin light for jaundice nearly 24/7 unless he was eating. But that did make for some really cute pictures.
Looks pretty trippy...
The pediatrician was a bit of a worry wart and kept Jack in the NICU for an extra day, but he's home now and that's all that matters. We got to pack him up and leave this morning. FINALLY!
Our new family
Our favorite NICU nurse, Shawna. She was the one who insisted I should start nursing and she fought the doctor to let Jack come home today.
All ready to go
We had to stop to get Jack's bilirubin blanket. While Adam was inside, I couldn't stop snapping pictures of the kid. He's just the cutest.
Cute as heck. I love the little stinker. Yes, I love all 3 of you stinkers.
ReplyDeleteHe is so stinking cute! His cheeks are adorable! Such a stud!!
ReplyDeleteHe is adorable! I can't wait to see him again! Love you all!
ReplyDeleteYAY to eyes open pictures! GETTA MEET HIM TOOOMMOROW!!! can'twaitcan'twaitcan'twait!
ReplyDeleteGreat Pictures!
ReplyDelete