I'm a failure. I missed two days of blogging. On Saturday night, Jack and I both went to sleep at 8:00. When Adam woke me up to get into my PJ's, it was too late. I had already missed blogging for the day. Then yesterday, I had a really gripping story to tell about our drive home from Utah, but our internet wasn't working.
So today, to make up for missing two days I have a good story to tell.
When we woke up Sunday morning in Utah it was snowing outside. We were planning on going to church at Mel's ward to hear her speak, but then we decided to just get on the road as soon as we could get all packed up. We left at noon and didn't get home until 6:30. It's normally a three and a half hour drive. It was pretty snowy on the roads from Salt Lake through about Layton area. Between Midvale and Layton we got splashed twice with gallons of water as people switched lanes. That was kind of freaking me out, because for a couple seconds we couldn't see anything. I was getting pretty nervous, so we slowed way down. But after Layton the roads seemed to clear up quite a bit. We were in Pocatello when we were passing two semis. We were in the left lane and the semis were splashing a bunch of water up at us. Before we knew it we were fishtailing off the highway and into the median.
I experienced what some might call the maternal instinct. I was in back with Jack and when we started going off the road I just held onto his car seat with a death grip. I'm not sure what I thought I was going to do to help the situation. But all I could think was that we were going to flip and that I needed to hang onto Jack.
Luckily, we didn't flip. Luckily, there wasn't a barrier in our way. Luckily, there was no damage to the car. Oh, who am I kidding? Luck had nothing to do with it. We were really blessed. We were also, however, very stuck. The snow was up to our doors.
So, we called our roadside assistance and two hours later we were finally out. While we waited we did some digging with our scraper and managed to move the car about three feet. Also while we waited we were visited with four cops. The first one accused us of speeding (we were going 50 mph in a 75 mph zone). He accused us of slamming the brakes (who doesn't instinctively hit the brakes when the car is out of control?). He also reprimanded us saying, "It's always snowy in Idaho, you have to learn how to drive." (It's our fourth winter in Idaho. We know that it snows here.) He was an all around jerk. The second cop stopped, waved from inside his car and then left. The third one asked what happened and what tow truck company was coming, then left without saying goodbye. Then, finally, the fourth stayed on site with us while the tow truck pulled us out and helped control traffic as they did so.
Our adventures made for a very long day, but I'm so so glad that it only cost us $100 to the tow truck company. It could have easily cost us a car, a huge hospital bill, or worse. We were definitely being looked after and I'm so grateful for that.
glad you're okay! :)
ReplyDeleteSoooo glad you're home safe and all three of you are ok. And also, I really really miss you. I'm gonna see you kinda soon tho. But I still really miss you.
ReplyDelete