Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Inspired.

So, I was reading my cousin/former roommate/best friend Janelle's blog post just now about eating chocolate in Hawaii. I became a little obsessed with it. I can't stop thinking about the idea of writing profusely about one of life's simple pleasures. I started racking my brain for one I could write about on here. So here it goes.  It probably won't be as good.

You might be familiar with the condition of our bathroom at our trailer. My apologies if you ever had to shower there. The lighting consisted of a light bulb screwed into a broken fixture with shards of glass exposed. To put it lightly, the shower was 70's green, moldy and felt like a cave.

Needless to say, moving to our current location presented a night and day difference in the bathroom department and made me relapse back into my bathroom addiction. At our new apartment we have a huge mirror with six bright vanity lights. Our tub is pearly white, bright and relaxing. When I was pregnant with Jack it wasn't uncommon for me to be in the tub on two or three different occasions throughout the day. I've never been a bath girl. I just get bored and don't know what to do, but with this tub it was different. Even still, there is one thing I'll take over a bath any day: a relaxing, ridiculously long shower.

These days I'm usually in and out of the shower (that's if I even get a shower). But today I got a late start on my morning workout. So by the time I was ready to shower, Adam was home to watch Jack while I spent upwards of twenty minutes in the steamy steamy bathroom.

For me showers are the perfect cure all. If my back aches, I take a shower. If I'm upset or stressed, I take a shower. If I need a confidence boost, I take a shower. 

There are a few aspects that, combined, create shower perfection for me.

First, and most obvious, is the length of time. Growing up I would always get in trouble for taking up all the hot water with my long showers. I would blame it on my long hair, but really it's just the fact that I like to dawdle.

Second is temperature. I love a scorching hot shower. The weather outside does little to change my temperature preference. I'm not a believer in cool Summer time showers. The perfect situation for me is when I have to gradually crank the faucet closer and closer to the hot side, until I've drained every drop of hot water left in the pipes.

Third, I love to fog the mirrors up with a thick layer of steam. I hate stepping out of the shower to a cold room. So a scorching hot shower makes for sticky, thick air that you really feel in your throat when you swallow, then it even lingers there for a while. It's like it warms you from the outside in.

This morning I had the heavenly combination of all three elements for shower perfection. I would have dawdled longer, but the faucet was cranked as far as it would go and the cool water forced me out of my oasis and back to reality. I guess there's always tomorrow's shower.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing.. especially because I just ran and need a hot shower. Man you girls just need to stop. Now I need warm Hawaii chocolate and a hot shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Amazing post with great detail. I feel the same way about hot, long showers. But now I'm even more convinced that they are one of the best things in life. I just found out we get to move into TVA apartments on campus by the end of the month. That means I'll have a bath tub. Not that I ever take baths, but just knowing I have the option will be nice.

    ReplyDelete